Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why we may not be at church today

Since we go to church in the afternoon, Scott and the girls had a few hours to kill this morning.  Emily came up with the great idea to have a pirate party!  

What's a pirate party?  Just ask Emily!  She came up with the list.

1.  Hide pirate treasure 
(the boxes they made at Lowe's yesterday)
2.  Make treasure maps
3.  Dress in pirate costumes
4.  Make pirate eyepatches and beards

I wondered how they'd make the eyepatches and beards, but luckily Scott is creative.  Making an eyepatch couldn't be that hard (I think he earned that merit badge in Scouts) and I figured he'd tape some paper on their faces for beards.  

Nope.

When I was a little kid I decided to make myself some lovely purple tights right before we had to be somewhere fancy.  I used markers, of course.  I remember my mom freaking out, sticking me in the tub and then using something smelly to try to remove the marker.  This was in the olden days, remember, before washable markers were invented.  

I only buy washable markers.  

I hope they come off faces easily, otherwise we're not going to church, as we would not be promoting reverence.  

Here's Emily, Le Pirate Moustache.

Heidi's Uncle Leo eyebrows make me laugh so hard.  
She is very proud of them and likes to look at them in the mirror.

Molly looks strangely like Vince Neil with her biker mustache.  

Don't you agree?
 
At least I am not bored - ever.

14 comments:

Herlehy Family said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I am laughing so hard that I have begun to cry. Thanks so much for making me laugh. I am happy to see that you are all able to have fun even if Mom is not feeling well.

Raimi said...

In total Carruth style! Love the photos of your little pirates! Did the marker come off?

Laurie said...

Can I crawl inside your brain - just for 10 minutes?

Martha Blood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha Blood said...

What a cute family--so creative! I'm wondering, too, did the marker come off? Thinking back to your purple legs, many years ago, yours did not come off. As I recall, yours lasted for several weeks. I think the inventor of the washable markers must have seen your legs. Your marker decorations showed up nicely even under tights!

It looks like Vince Neil has been into the markers, too.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Those are the cutest pirates I've ever seen. Clever!!! We may have to give it a try tomorrow, the day we have NO where to be. :) If it works out okay, we'll copy it for pirate night on the Disney Cruise. Adorable!

Tifferbob said...

"We would not be promoting reverence", hilarious!

Do you mind if I use this same excuse to get out of church next week?

OLIVIA said...

Emily has a fantastic imagination!

Liz said...

Those pictures are hilarious - I hope the marker came off without too much difficulty.

Gina and the Gang said...

Oh my goodness, that is one of the cutest ideas I've ever seen. Maybe he needs to share the art docent position with you! That looks like way too much fun!

Jim and Shana McGavock said...

You guys are so cooky! I want to come to your house for a day and forget all my problems!

Cadle Clan said...

You guys are hilarious!

THE TAYLORS said...

Do you guys have a spare bedroom? I would love to come hang out with you guys for a bit and see if your fun and creativity rub off on me. That looks like so much fun!!!

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Laurie, SO cool. You guys crack me up. I hope I am as fun as you guys when my kiddos get big. I am really laughing out loud at that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails